Saturday 30 January 2016

The Wishbone will never replace the Backbone

Ignacy's Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is like the Doctor Who's Tardis of board game pimpage ...you open the lid and there's always something else that can be tweaked out.

Today I decided it was time to give the Determination tokens an overhaul.
Based vaguely on the actual game tokens (and also on some cast metal tokens a very generous chap who had commissioned some of my work sent me), I've created them in the style of a windlass...

They stand about twice the height of a normal token.

Caramel, gunmetal and old gold.

Cross my palm with silver, er, polymer clay.

Seeing that the first token took me just shy on an hour to sculpt, I thought this would be perfect for a push mould ...or the 21 required for the set would take me an absolute age.

Even with the help of a mould, each one requires needs some work after popping it out, being soft clay at the time.

After baking, each is given a dark acrylic wash on the face to make the details pop - the excess is wiped off, leaving just the ink in the recesses, and once dry, the token is given a light polish. I try to keep my clay pieces paint-free in general, but find it really helps these come to life.

I also decided to do these in a range of colours: metallics and shades of brown, for interests sake.

Well, back to work ...only 18 more to go.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment